Much ado about whims and fancies.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chaos and Something Pretty

I had myself a minor mental breakdown last night.

I came home to a mess beyond all messes--Bishop attacked three rugs. Count them--THREE! Besides the general disarray, there were fabric shreds EVERYWHERE. Some serious time was put in on those rugs, that's for sure. And boy did he knew he was in trouble--ears back, tail between his legs, and crouching by the door. Yet, without even saying a word to him, I started crying...

I've been pretty overwhelmed lately--with work, with side projects, with house chores (obviously worsened by Bishop's recent destruction of our house). And with all of my New Year's hopes/wishes/dreams for myself--to get in shape, to make art, to cook fabulous meals--I'm at a crossroads. Prioritize job and house work? Or health and creativity? I'm too wiped by the end of the day to do both, it seems.

I've been losing myself in the chaos, yo...



Then A and I watched "Shameless." Pray tell me y'all have that show DVRed. I lurve it. Anywho, the most recent episode touched upon Fiona's inability to remove herself from her home life (all the responsibilities and chores and care-taking). She has issues just plum relaxing. So Steve, her smokin' hot BF, takes her out on the town to a swanky hotel where they order room service, take naps on the million-thread-count bedding, and skinny-dip in the pool. Basically, they relax the hell out of themselves. This, you see, is what I need to do. Without the swanky hotel or room service or naps or luxury bedding or skinny-dipping...but relaxing nonetheless! At some point, I have to pause this, that, and the other thing in order to make time for myself.

And so I'm brainstorming, friends. I'm thinking up ways to squeeze "happy time" into my days. Exercise during my lunch hour? I just might. Pre-cook fab meals on the weekends to eat as leftovers during the week? It's gonna happen. Lay out pretty outfits the night before? Doneski.

Cause 24 hours really ain't that many...

...and life really is too short...

so here's a pretty picture to make us all feel better!



P.S. Pray Bishop lives through the week.

JK.

Kinda.

;)

P.P.S. Just read today's post on Christian Reflection & Prayer. Bizarrely fitting:

"I have come to the realization in my life
that inner stillness is an absolute necessity
to knowing God. I remember learning this
during a time of great crises and turmoil in
my life. Everything in me, my entire being,
seemed to throb with anxiety, and the
sense of need was immediate and
absolutely overwhelming. Yet the
circumstances were such that I could do nothing
to overcome my crises.
This is when I discovered that to overcome my
crises, I needed to be still in my spirit and "rest"
in God. I effectively
learned that my strength is "to sit still."
You see, there is perfect passivity that is not
laziness. It is a living stillness born of trust
in God. I YEARN FOR THAT STILLNESS,
I LIVE FOR THAT STILLNESS, I HAVE
RECEIVED THAT STILLNESS THROUGH
GOD."

2 comments:

  1. 1) I lurve your new header picture!
    2) Praying for Bishop -- and you.
    3) We Erin's are procrastinators so actually doing all these "happy" things, even though it's a great idea, is sometimes the hardest part. I find lately that coming up with lists of things to do in order to find happiness in dull times, often only complicates things more. Try doing nothing instead. Go home, look around, and do nothing -- read a book, watch TV, order pizza, and most importantly don't feel guilty about it. You work hard. You deserve a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're pretty great, Erin. Thanks for the simple wisdom--it hit home :)

    ReplyDelete