Much ado about whims and fancies.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"You can feel the rejuvenating effect that
a good meal can bring on.
The way it can make people kinder, funnier, more optimistic,
and remind them it's not a mistake to go on living.
It's better than any medicine."
~The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


northernnostos.tumblr.com
A and I aren't necessarily "foodies," but we DO love a good meal. Dining out is our biggest budget-buster and yet we can't seem to reign ourselves in. I think it's because of what Suzanne Collins is getting at: good food is rejuvenating; it makes us feel alive.

 thesetingstaketime.com
Yet it is funny how dining out inspires A and I to try something new in the kitchen. I believe I've written about Denver's fabulous d bar restaurant, but I haven't spilled the beans on their spiked vanilla lemonade situation (those beans being UN. REAL). A has mastered a nearly-perfect knock-off we've dibbed the "Vandalade" with either Simply Lemonade or Newman's Own lemonade, Skyy vodka, a dash of simple syrup and some liquid vanilla extract. Try it, folks, because WHOA to the WOW.


http://pinterest.com/pin/62628251037720936/

My dream job is to be a food critic, though I think there's probably some prerequisites, like being a chef and owning a super-palate (I am not and have not). All I'm saying is that I'd like eating to be my job and I'd like to do nothing but talk about my wonderful gastronomical experiences. ALL DAY EVERY DAY.



http://pinterest.com/pin/62628251037722801/

Granted, I recently read this little blurby:

"There are two kinds of food lovers: the elitists and the egalitarians. The first are the people who go on to become food critics and restaurant reviewers. They are the food snobs who know what they like and are unrelenting in their opinions. The egalitarians, on the other hand, are the ones who wax nostalgic about steaming bowls of tripe prepared by their mother in the winter, or the chicken feet they had at dim sum with their grandparents. For them, whether or not they like a food depends much more on the company and memories surrounding the dish than on the taste of the item itself. These are the people who are hopelessly easy to please." (Rebecca A. Cooper http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2008/10/16/a-matter-of-taste-the-super/)



http://pinterest.com/pin/62628251037722801/

I think I am one of these egalitarian type eater persons.



 cookinginsens.wordpress.com

By the way, breakfast food is my most favorite.
As Donkey in the movie Shrek says, "And in the mornin, I'm makin WAFFLES!"



 someecards.com

To make this blogpost even more random,
let's end with a prayer ;)

May you eat many yummy and delightful things.
May you always air on the side of egalitarian instead of elitist.
May you remember what Rebecca said:
May you "wax nostalgic," and
May you be "hopelessly easy to please."

Now go have happy tummies, y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment