Much ado about whims and fancies.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Food-Day!

You all will be happy to know that I'm in a much better mood than I was the other day! Probably because it's Friday. And because, at the Starbucks drive-thru this morning, the man in front of me bought my drinks! Apparently the woman in front of him bought his drink, so he was paying it forward! So I paid it forward, too, and bought a drink for the man behind me! Isn't that just the best start to a Friday EVER?!?! I'm still flying high :)

Also, it's FOODIE Friday! I dunno if you all noticed my friend Erin's recommendation for EpiCute: The Cute Food Blog, but it really is lip-smackingly good. Not only do I enjoy the pictures of precious bite-size food concoctions, but I enjoy the author's overly-excited descriptions containing made-up words for cute and delicious (i.e. "Here you are, cuteonistas. Tiny pies on sticks. Sqweet!" and "You tell me, adoronauts." and "Sponge cake is a substance I’ve always wanted to make a bed out of.") I've always loved others who could talk about food. For hours. In detail. Daily.

In fact, my best friend B and I share just this ability. When we lived in Milwaukee, we used to frequently visit Kopp's Frozen Custard to sample their flavor of the day. We'd simultaneously spoon heaps of "Never Enough Chocolate" into our mouths while debating the pros and cons of the ingredients:

B: "There are too many truffel chunks."
Me: "You can never have too many truffel chunks."
B: "But with too many truffel chunks, the other ingredients can't shine. Like the fudge swirls."
Me: "Fudge swirls? I can't focus on anything but the truffel chunks."
B: "Exactly."

Little does B know that, because of EpiCute, I've inherited a whole new vocab for describing food (Shall we see how our food-debating skills match up later this month?)


In the mean time, I'll practice with my description of the absurdly delicious meal A and I recently shared at Sullivan's Steakhouse!

First of all, when at a swanky establishment (with live jazz, nonetheless!), one must order a libation. Though I'm not usually one for martinis, I got myself a Sweet Tea Tini. Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka + sweet and sour + simple syrup + lemon twist garnish = swig-tastic! I like very few liquors, and I mean FEW, so I was happy to find another! So refreshing!

But let's get to what I washed down with my Sweet Tea Tini...

Sullivan's was offering a new new side dish--a multi-cheese, baked macaroni...



It was TO. DIE. FOR. But can you ever go wrong with mac & cheese? (Maybe if you're lactose intolerant, but that's not where I wanted to go with this...) Fatty-bo-batty shell noodles were topped with creamy Wisconsin white cheddar cheese, gouda, and parmesan, which were further topped with garlicky, oniony bread crumbles! (OFFICIAL: all mac & cheese is not made equal). I would wait for A to look the other way so I could stab 4 shells, then 6, then, oops, caught :-/ I kept feigning stupidity when it came to the ingredients, taking a bite and curiously stating, "I can't figure out the cheeses. Is that mozzarella? Nah...Sharp cheddar?" Ha! As if I dunno my cheeses ;) That mac & cheese was just so delicious, you see, I had a hard time sharing.

What I didn't have to share was my dessert :) PEANUT BUTTER BLACK BOTTOM PIE.



(Which was, for the record, listed on the menu as a dessert for 2 persons. Hey, I can handle a pie as big as a frisbee. It's the exact size of the dessert compartment in my stomach, in fact.)

Lemme begin with the texture of this pie. You know how there are whipped yogurts? This was like whipped peanut butter! Only the filling was thickly creamy and sticky too. Not mousse-like or pudding-like, but an altogether new and different and WONDERFUL sensation! (Wonderful being my new go-to word, if you hadn't noticed).

And the Oreo cookie crust was wafer-thick and chocolatey-crunchy goodness! At a 1/2 inch deep and 3 inches high all around, there was extra to spare! Though for me there wasn't ;)

QUESTION: Are you hungry yet?

Maybe next Friday I'll make you even hungrier by telling you about the Mother's Day buffet at Inverness Country Club. Triangle waffles! Egg scrambles! Mimosas!

(Seriously, what is it about fabulous food that makes an occasion even more celebratory? If only my waistline could afford to eat out every day...)

P.S. Yesterday I helped a customer with the last name "Goforth." Talk about having independence and adventure embedded in your name. Isn't that quite wonderful? Sorry for all the wonderfuls. But if that ain't a sign of a good day, right? My wonderful-meter reads high for today. I hope yours does too :)

3 comments:

  1. Okay. I just ate lunch and I'm totally full but now I'm SO CRAVING too. That pie looks delicious! Wonderful even! (By the way, I LOVE the word "wonderful.") I wish I could spend more time in the kitchen because I love to bake, but then I'd never get anything else done. Ha! I'm so glad you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whipped peanut butter?!? Mmmmm. All of these pictures were 'wonderful.' Yes, I am hungry now (and I just ate). How nice that you all were paying it forward in the drive thru. That just makes me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. That's not fair. It's Sunday and I had planned to NOT drive or really go anywhere today, but now I want a sweet like the aforementioned pie...

    That's awesome that the guy in front of you bought your coffee! I love when that happens. I've always wanted to start that myself, but then I feel like I'm trying to look nice and am afraid it appears insincere (I know, I know). Perhaps the drive-through is my best bet...more anonymous. In fact, I think I'll do that tomorrow.

    And now I am craving Parmesan fries...oh yum!

    ReplyDelete