Much ado about whims and fancies.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Red, Yellow, and Wine

From the tops of trees, red is dripping down, down, down to the trunks...



I'm in a bit of an existential state-of-mind today (wow, what a mouthful). I don't know whether to blame it on the change of seasons--what with everything I see changing before my eyes--or whether something's happening inside of me. Either way, I've been feeling very small lately...

Fall has always been my favorite season (a redundant statement, I'm sure ;) ) and yet I feel like I'm not ready for it this year. It's like it came out of nowhere. All of a sudden trees are yellow, and I'm stuck looking out the window wondering how the heck I got here...



All year long, I've been waiting for Fall, and now that it's actually here, I'm confused. I suppose it's because I've been so busy looking FORWARD to the leaves turning, to Fall festivals and sweaters, to A being done with his board exam, to wandering through corn mazes, etc, etc, etc, that I haven't been paying attention to the fact that Fall is HERE! NOW! I've been inside my head too much--hoping, dreaming, imagining--that I missed the beginnings of "the turn." And leaves are falling, people!

It's official: the world goes on whether we pay any attention to it or not. Leaves will still burst into red and yellow flames whether or not we see or feel their heat...

Right here and now, I'm determined to play catch up, to pay better attention, to turn my eyes outward and soak in my surroundings. This is, afterall, my favorite season, so how dare I miss out on it! It's time to walk through a corn maze with a hot chocolate in hand...



...to pick up leaves and trace them under paper...






It's time I take this small body of mine and get it moving! Live in the moment and all that (while eating candy corn, of course!). Join me?!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I'm totally joining you. The colors are just barely trying, but not really trying, to change here in Arkansas. Nevertheless, I totally forgot about putting leaves under paper and coloring them (while drinking wine by a fireplace. YUM!) You have definitely inspired me. I'm sure the fall spirit will hit you soon and you'll feel all kinds of wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete