Much ado about whims and fancies.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bookishness

If you guys have loved ones in your life, you can probably relate to this--

Sometimes I get so used to saying and/or hearing the phrase "I love you" that it's easy to respond quickly, without thinking. But today, when A responded, I had an existential moment where I was overwhelmed with the fact that, with no pressuring or attention paid to decorum, A loves me! No thanks to me, this other, independent human being actually chose to love me...



In this book I just finished reading, "The Widower's Tale" by Julia Glass, there's a quote, "The third child she wished for was the opposite of a ghost, someone waiting to be. That's what Poppy was, here and now--the opposite of a ghost. She had brought me to a place of becoming, away from a place of having been." For some reason those words made sense of what I was feeling in my existential moment. I realized that A's the same for me that Poppy was for Percy--he brings me to a place of becoming; not only a moving forward, but also a fleshing out and a making real. A is helping me reach my full potential of being.

I tell ya, life's most memorable moments come around some interesting corners, don't they?



Which is a thought similarly expressed in this new book I just started reading, "Let the Great World Spin: A Novel" by Colum McCann. I'm not even halfway into it and I can't stop recommending it. Read a review and decide for yourselves if it's worth picking up. Though I'm telling you right now--it's awesome. It's provocative and emotive and intense. This story's got a grip on me that I can't seem to shake. Yes, it's one of those reads.

Anywho, I apologize in advance if it's a while before I blog again. When I'm in the midst of reading a great book, it's like I'm in the throes of a new love affair--I can't think about anything else, I don't want to do anything else, I'm obessively thinking about when I can read just a few pages more, or I'm daydreaming about what might happen next in the story, etc, etc...

It's a sickness, people, and I'm diving headfirst into it. Meet you when I come back up for air :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, I feel the same way about a good book or even a good blog. I'm always daydreaming about it and wondering what will come next and how it will end... or will it? It's definitely a love affair. :)

    ReplyDelete