Much ado about whims and fancies.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Lent, Meaning "To Lengthen."


 
This Wednesday begins the Christian season of Lent.

"Lent" comes from the Old English word "lengthening,"
in reference to the season of Spring in which the daylight hours lengthen.

Instead of my usual giving up of sweets and pop and the like,
I'm hoping to give of myself this Lent,
to stretch myself,
to lengthen my soul till it catches Spring's extra daylight like a sheet on a clothesline.
And so I compiled a spiritually-minded Lenten "To Do List" of sorts
(whether or not you celebrate Lent,
I hope you find this To Do List worth your while)...


1) Take a walk outside--whether alone or with a loved one or with that doggone doggie of yours ;) Breathe in the fresh air. Feel your footsteps on the gound. Look up at the sky. Listen to that bird in a tree. Thank God for your life. For the beautiful outdoors. And for the present moment.



http://www.flickr.com/photos/funandfancyfree/4617960802/

2) Consider David Kuo's idea and write a letter to God: "Some of my most intimate times with God have come when I write prayers or thoughts to Him as if I were writing a friend or, perhaps, my Father. I also find it very hard to do, as everything else seems more important...and easier."

3) Whether at church or at home, light a candle and say a prayer for someone. Let the sight of the flame remind you that God is always listening.



http://smileandsayfromage.blogspot.com/

4) Have family dinner at the kitchen table. Without the TV on. Tell each other what you're grateful for.

5) Every day, make a point to say something nice to each person you come in contact with.

6) Put into practice Bryan Entzminger's suggestion: "Get to Know People - God is interested in fixing the relationship between all of humanity as individuals and Himself. Get to know somebody. Meet somebody new. Ask people about their struggles and triumphs. Invest your life in the lives of those around you."

7) Declutter your home. Then donate the excess to charity.



http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=128535550508150

8) Cook beans and rice for dinner one night. Eat in prayer for those who oftentimes don't even get this modest meal.

9) Memorize a joke and tell it to as many people as you can. Let the laughs buoy your soul.

10) Commit a random act of kindness--whether that means anonymously leaving homebaked cookies in the office break room or leaving a sweet message on your home's refrigerator with word magnets.


XOXOX and <3 to you these next 40 days :)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Lent -- I never know what to do. I've done the giving up of sweets many times. It's always hard, but I do it so often I wonder if it's really even a sacrifice anymore. I like your suggestions -- I may take these to heart. :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I deleted my comment only so I could link it to real-lifers. But I see my profile link is still up :(. Oh well, here's the original comment anyway...

    I like this post a lot. I never really do much for Lent, but I like the concept. Maybe this is the year. And maybe this is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete