Much ado about whims and fancies.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Project #1: Mini Version of 1000 Journals Project

(image from http://thegardenofpinkshadows.typepad.com )
Let's begin here:
http://www.1000journals.com/index.php?view=About%2FIndex

Ever since middle school, I've wanted to journal. "That was more than 10 years ago, Erin. Why don't you get to it already?" you might ask. Well, because I've tried and tried and tried again, and I never stick with it. For me, there's an obligatory feeling I get when I sit down to write in a journal, as if I'm supposed to be writing in it, as if I owe it to the journal to write in it. Needless to say, it's not an inspiring feeling. And yet I still crave a journal. So what gives? My assumptions about journal-writing! I have this pre-conceived idea that writing in a journal is a daily activity (and a multi-hour, whenever-I-have-a-free-moment-I-should-be-scribbling kind of activity at that). I also thought journal entries HAD TO BE deep and introspective and revelatory (notice the emphasis on HAD TO BE, as we are all aware they CAN be). So basically I thought journal-writing meant that I had to havea powerful, self-reflective entry EVERYDAY. No wonder I quit and quit again! Such pressure! And so I researched various journaling methods, knowing, believing, that there was another way for ME to JOURNAL! I found it...

A journal that is not exactly my own (in that I am not the only one who's obliged to write/draw/color/paste entries into it), but rather a group journal, one in which the writers are many and the entries various. As the 1000 Journals Project website says, "The goal is to provide a method for interaction and shared creativity among friends and strangers." Exactly! Not only me but MY FRIENDS, too, must add something to the journal: "a story, drawing, photograph, anything really. Then we pass the journal along...and the adventure continues." Now that's inspiring, isn't it?! Well, for me it is. And really, that's the point of this entry. So right now, I'm going to go out and buy myself that journal I've always wanted, and with the help of a few friends, I'm going to finish it! It's going to be so beautiful...you're welcome, world.

If you want to take part in this creative group art project, let me know and I'll get the work of art in your hot little hands.

Semi-related parting thought: "You can use your life in a very useful and intelligent way. You can very well transform that negative energy into a positive energy that empowers you and makes life meaningful." –Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment