Much ado about whims and fancies.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Project in Process: Art in the Workplace

So, I may or may not have done a silly thing last week (and yet, as I'm writing this, I'm telling myself it was brilliant... or WILL be soon enough). See, I work in a corporate office, and while there's nothing "wrong," per se, with this corporate office, I've noticed "a lack" of sorts. A lack of what? you ask. Inspiring surroundings perhaps? Creative energy flow? Chi? Yes, ALL of that is what's lacking. Every weekday for the past 4 months, I walk into the office and feel sterile. For cleanliness' sake, that's a good thing, but for creative's sake, it's not. All I want to do is cut out a paper heart and tape it to a doorknob, color outside the lines of a coloring book page and put it on the break room's refrigerator, string ribbons across my cubicle like a tent. Seriously, I have the urge to tamper with the office space every minute I'm there.

Hence, my eventual breakdown. Last Thursday, as I was reading my daily quote for the day (which happened to come from Buddha--"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."), I was immediately inspired to spread the message by taping it up on the office's back door (which leads directly to the bathrooms, and so is frequently used).

Now, you'll remember that in my first blog I talked about how public art requires responsibility. Well, before I taped up the quote, I thought long and hard about whether or not its Buddhist nature was appropriate in the work place. I didn't want people thinking that some anonymous person in the office was trying to force his/her religious ideals on them. I wanted to make darn sure that I wouldn't offend anyone. In the end, I came to the conclusion that my coworkers are adults, that they're capable of reading past the sayer to the saying itself, and that the quote's purpose is to leave one with a message about self-love, not religious ideals. So, I put it up...secretly (even though I believe in the power of public art, I'm not down with publicizing ME. Public art's not about the artist, it's about the cause). And then I waited. Waited for what? you ask, you curious reader, you. Well, I waited for a reaction. I listened for the door opening and closing, listened for thoughts mumbled under the breath. Nothing. Until today, 4 days later. This morning, making my morning trip to the restroom, I saw it. Underneath the quote was a hand-scrawled "I love ME" which was further altered by another hand to read "I love MEat loaf." Hmm. Not what I was expecting. And yet...harmless. Funny even. I think the quote maybe sort of kinda might've been a success? It certainly caught people's attention. And it moved them to write their own messages, too! Suddenly, I'm totally excited about coming to work and the prospect of "re-CREATE-ing the office." While this pet project of mine has only just begun, the Buddha quote just the FIRST step in the right direction, I tell you what...I'm determined to make this space into what it should be...inspirational, creative, uplifting. We spend most of our time here, don't we? We deserve it.
P.S. I think my next efforts will be put towards having an "art show" every month or so where workers bring in their own art and showcase it in the lunch room. Or maybe even hand out coloring book pages, have everybody color them their own way, and then showcase the pictures on the outside walls of our cubicles. And if people really aren't feeling the "self-made art" thing, we could always try to bring in our favorite pieces of art and showcase THEM somehow. We'll see...this really is just "The Beginning..."

*UPDATE* As of this morning, Friday, September 11th, the "I love MEat loaf" message was altered by someone who wrote underneath it, "The singer?" Also, there is now a Meatloaf quote taped directly beneath the aforementioned Buddha quote that reads, "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that. No, I won't do that," PLUS a recipe for meat loaf attached. HAHAHAHA! Look what public art can inspire! I'm finding this whole affair completely ridiculous and hilarious...already I'm loving this office. Keep it up, people!












No comments:

Post a Comment