Much ado about whims and fancies.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hodge Podge

Words, words, my magical fruit! The more that's said, the more I hoot!

While it's not a rarity for me to linger on the wordings of things (I've already come clean about my compulsive eavesdropping habits), I feel the need to discuss the words that've been swirling around me lately. Like music lyrics! Now, A tells me he can love a song without even knowing the lyrics. He claims the beat, the tune, and the instruments being played are enough for him. I don't deny that a song is more than its lyrics, but I'm speaking for myself when I say that I can't love a song without loving its lyrics, too. So, I'm gonna reveal a couple of my recent favorites...lyrics, beats, tunes, and all!

How bout that Owl City, huh?

Cave In

Swallow a drop of gravel and blacktop
cause the road tastes like wintergreen.
The wind and the rain smell of oil and octane
mixed with stale gasoline.
I'll soak up the sound,
trying to sleep on the wet ground.
I'll get ten minutes give-or-take
cause I just don't foresee myself getting drowsy
when cold integrity keeps me wide awake.
Get me out of this cavern,
or I'll cave in.
I'll keep my helmet on
just in case my head caves in.

Cause if my thoughts collapse
or my framework snaps,
it'll make a mess like you wouldn't believe.
Tie my handlebars to the stars so I stay on track.
And if my intentions stray, I'll wrench them away.
Then I'll take my leave, and I won't even look back.




If My Heart Was a House

You're the sky that I fell through,
and I remember the view whenever I'm holding you.
The sun hung from a string,
looking down on the world as it warmed over everything.

Chills run down my spine
as our fingers entwine
and your sides harmonize with mine.
Unmistakably, I can still feel your heart beat fast when you dance with me.

Circle me and the needle moves gracefully back and forth.
If my heart was a compass, you'd be North.
Risk it all cause I'll catch you if you fall.
Wherever you go,
if my heart was a house, you'd be home.


And have you heard Train's new song Hey, Soul Sister? I wasn't convinced of its fabulousness until I figured out its lyrics :)



Your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left-side brains,
I knew I wouldn't forget you,
and so I went and let you blow my mind.
Your sweet moonbeam,
the smell of you in every single dream I dream,
I knew when we collided—you’re the one I have decided
who's one of my kind.
Hey Soul Sister, ain't that Mr. Mister on the radio, stereo?

The way you move ain't fair you know.
Hey Soul Sister, I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight.
Just in time,
I'm so glad you have a one track mind like me.
You gave my life direction,
a game show love connection.
We can't deny I'm so obsessed.
My heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest.
I believe in you. Like a virgin, you're Madonna,
and I'm always gonna wanna blow your mind.

Well you can cut a rug!
Watching you is the only drug I need.
So gangster, I'm so thug,
you're the only one I'm dreaming of.
You see, I can be myself now finally.
In fact there's nothing I can’t be.
I want the world to see you'll be with me.


There are obviously way more talented lyricists than these two groups, so pray share your favorites with me! Spread the word-love. Spread the Word, love. Spread the word "love."
 
I'll end with my most recent poetry attempt. The prompt was to write about a sacred place, though not a place typically thought of as grand or majestic. Here goes:



He didn’t say he was comfortable.
And he didn’t say he wasn’t.
It was his sunken cheeks and purple lips,
his waxy hands and cold gold rings,
the reflection of white roses in his glasses,
his best suit too big for his body,
the lacquered box, his satin-lined bed...
It was him lying there, still, quiet
that said he was gone.
Only the passing of white tissues
—sorry white flags—
spoke for him.
He wasn’t there.
And he was.
He was talking, talking, talking,
surrendering,
before they put him in the ground.

* images from gettyimages.com, redbubble.com, fbuk.deviantart.com, and flikr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment