Much ado about whims and fancies.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cool Things Other People Are Doing

This past weekend, my husband's cousin's girlfriend (confused yet?) told me about her hobby of writing six word stories. I've written short stories and even flash fictional stories of just 100 words, but SIX WORD STORIES?! Needless to say, I was impressed. But what's more impressive than her minimalistic approach to story-telling is her reasoning for why. Most of the time, her stories are snippets of dialogue (like inside jokes and/or phrases and turns of speech with multiple meanings) or things seen in her daily life. Basically, she uses the format of a six word story to track her life's memories! By keeping a journal of these six word observations, she's become more perceptive and involved in her life!

I am just tickled pink at the idea and hope to try my hand at some six word stories in the future...liiiiiike, "Don't bite Mommy's face off, please" (what I said to Bishop this very morning). Your turn!

Speaking of another cool thing somebody else is doing, do you folks follow the blog yes and yes? Well, trot on over there today, because Sarah Von is in the midst of amassing potential photographs for her 2011 calendar! My husband just submitted some of his...

(not including this one...but still whoa on the wonderful, right?!)

...and if you guys are artsy-fartsy like him, too, then upload some pics of your own! Wouldn't your mom just ooo and aah all over you if you got your photo in a calendar?! Best Christmas gift EVER! So yeah, anywho...GO ON! GIT!

My parting gift to you today--another cool thing someone else is doing--a summer Zen poem:

Stormy afternoon--
between peals of thunder,
the ice-cream van's bell.
--Brian Tasker

Enjoy your Tuesday, y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Well I am just tickled pink about this calendar thing. I'm going to try for it too.

    As for the six word stories, that would be tough, but I have done some six sentence stories on the 6S blog:

    http://sixsentences.blogspot.com/

    You can look up the stories of mine that 6S posted by typing "yarbery" into the search bar at the top left. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um Erin? I'm pretty sure your husband stole that picture from my dining room. I'll be looking for the appropriate credit line any day now.

    ps. Speaking of dining...shall we? I have a hankerin for a fancy schmancy breakfast-for-dinner party. Waddaya say? I'll break out the fancy china.

    pps. You make me want to blog. And redecorate my office. And get a giant dog - oh wait - Bishop will one day be able to swallow me whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I'm anonymous, that's creepy. Worry not, I'm just an ex-abodian who misses your smiling face but doesn't have a profile :)

    ReplyDelete