Much ado about whims and fancies.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Needy shmeedy

Now that I've officially come off the "downer-dump" and am on to the "higher-hump" (no, those aren't technical terms, but they do make my point and are funny, so...smile already), I have the hindsight to look back and understand some of what was happening. Figure, we all just came off the holidays. Everyone and their mother was in town. There were get-togethers, parties, brunches, coffee-dates...you get the jist. And now...well, now I'm needy.

But see, what I learned from my "downer-dump" is that I was waiting for people to call ME, for family and friends to invite ME over or take ME out. A very passive involvement in social activities, wouldn't you say? I realized that I can't wait for others to take care of my needs. It's not their lacking, it's mine. So I'm putting myself out there instead. I've got myself a boardgame night with my brother this weekend. I've got me a date with my parents at Church on Sunday. And I'm really stepping out of my comfort zone here, but I'm tagging along with my lady coworkers to boot camp on Monday (yes, I'm shakin in my boots, no big deal). Like I've said before--I, myself, will turn this situation around. After all, as youareremarkable.wordpress.com tells me, I house enough energy in my body to light an entire city (I'm pretty good at this pep-talking gig, aren't I? Future part time job, perhaps?)

A tangential thought--my mom was telling me how it's better not to "name" what I'm feeling because all that description does is define me, limit me. If I say I'm "needy," for example, then I very well might start playing into that typification, giving into my "needy" feelings, building them up as if they're bigger than or outside myself. Which, as you can imagine, would only promote that vicious "needy" cycle. However, if I just acknowledge my changing emotions, simply recognize how they're making me feel, but  leave them unnamed, then they're just fleeting feelings, minute moods in the grand ocean of my body. By leaving my emotions unnamed (or any part of my personality really), I allow myself infinite impossibilities. I don't have to be "that bummed-out girl" or even "that bubbly, peppy girl." I can just be "Erin"...

and I think that sounds much better :)

I want to leave you folks with a parting imageam (image + dream):


Dusk.
Traffic.
A black car sits idly
on the side of the road.
In its paint,
the reflection
of passing cars' headlamps
hangs like
a string of twinkle lights.
*image from http://farm2.static.flickr.com/




Pray share with me YOUR imageam...

And a P.S. while we're at it--if any of you would like to "guest post" on my blog, I'd be THRILLED TO DEATH. No matter the topic, you got yourself a venue. Interested parties (who I'm praying is ALL of you!) let me know.

1 comment: