Much ado about whims and fancies.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Foodie Fetishes



Oh my gosh, I've come across some fabulous food concoctions recently (granted, most involve either cereal or dairy, so I suppose you have to enjoy both to really understand the largesse of my findings)! One is the addition of a frozen Yoplait Triple Berry Smoothie pouch to my oatmeal.  HOLY CRAPOLA! These little pouches contain frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and (my personal favorite) yogurt pieces! Seriously, it's the most delicious thing ever--the hot oatmeal half-melts the frozen berries and turns the frozen yogurt pieces into soft, creamy bites of goodness. I'm totally obsessed. I've eaten oatmeal 3 times in the last two days and am seriously considering eating it again for dinner tonight. You can find these tasty tidbits in your frozen food aisle. There are 6 or so 2-serving pouches in one big bag, so don't be fooled by the packaging. Go try it, people. (And no, I'm not a Yoplait product representative, though I'm thinking I'd be good at it...)

The second brilliant concoction is mixing together multiple cold cereals. I don't think this is MY idea exactly (I had a roommate in college who let me in on the secret), but I think I've come up with some of the better mixes. Some of  them being: Kashi Go Lean with Lucky Charms and Wheaties; Basic 4 (which is too expensive for ANYONE, and so must be bought on sale) with Kashi Go Lean and Honey Smacks; Grape Nuts with Wheaties and Cheerios. The combinations are endless...and fabulous...so you owe it to yourself to give cereal-mixing a whirl. Parting note on the matter: Kashi Go Lean mixes well with nearly everything, so stock up!

And how about cottage cheese with yogurt! My personal favorite: blueberry yogurt with large curd cottage cheese. Sounds strange...and creepy (lumpy dumpy yogurt can't possibly look appetizing), but it's sooooo good. You try. You like.

And then, just this past Friday, I came across another fabulous food idea! So, every Friday I get me a Starbucks drink on my way to work (a caffeinated and sugary treat to kick off the weekend!). Last Friday, I got me a Dirty Chai Latte (which you should ALSO try, my friends. It's simply a Chai Latte with a shot of espresso in it. Bizarre combination, I know, but totally worth it. "That chai's a-packin!" as I like to say) which was not only leaking out of its paper cup, but got cold before I could finish it. So I skidaddled myself over to the break room where I threw the drink in a fancy mug and nuked it in the microwave. I dunno whether it was the sudden warmth I brought back to my favorite Friday beverage or the fancy mug I threw it in or both, but suddenly my Dirty Chai was the most delicious drink ever! I think the key here is that sipping out of something pretty makes both the drink prettier and the drinker prettier. Try it and tell me it's true for YOU.

Apparently I'm infatuated with food finds (I'll pretend I didn't know this till now)! I'll keep you updated if I come across another....

Daily Dose of Dillies (today's noticing/pondering):
Throw Blankets.

As some of you know (if you've got a friend who lives out West or if you watched the news at all last week), the western states got DUMPED ON! Between 1 and 2 feet of snow at my house! The staircase leading up to our front door looked like a ski-slope! Our backporch looked like a miniature version of the foothills, snow peaking and dipping and rolling into hill-like formations. Trees looked unhappy, their branches drooping and hanging low, weighted with so much snow. However, though it was a pain-in-the-ass-snowstorm in that we had to shovel it, scrape it, trudge in it, and drive in it, it also made for some BEAUTIFUL moments on the couch. I've got me this leaopard faux-fur blanket that's incredibly heavy and wonderful, a knitted cotten throw that's big and stretchy and can wrap around a pair of legs a bajillion times, and a Snuggie (for good measure)! Every night last week, A and I turned on the fireplace, wrapped ourselves up in the blanket of our choosing (though A's 110% against the Snuggie, calling me an old, incapable woman whenever I wear it), and hit the books. I read every magazine in the house, dibble-dabbled on my Kindle, whereupon I promptly napped for an hour or so before actually going upstairs to bed. It was the best week ever. Coziest nights of my life. I can't wait for the next storm to snow me in and chill me to the bones...I gots me the best throw blanket ammo :)

*image from http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2268763/oatmeal-main

No comments:

Post a Comment