Much ado about whims and fancies.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Grocery Shoppin and Home-Cookin



1) I love droppin the gs at the end of words. Try it for yourself. Don't you feel all down-home and friendly?

Now that we're feelin our southernest...

I want to talk about how wonderful it is grocery shoppin and cookin with another person. Last night I picked up A on my way home from work so that we could experience the fabulous place that is Safeway together! No, that's not quite true. I picked him up so we could grab fixins (<--what did I tell you about the preciousness of no gs?!) for our bean burriladas (burrito + enchilada). Not only is grocery shoppin more fun with 2 people, but it's WAY more fun with the man who loves you (because he calms you down when you can't reach your favorite cereal because 2 women with full carts and 12 kids between them are parked for a mid-aisle chat in front of the Cheerios; because he reaches over their poorly-positioned heads, charmingly saying, "Excuse me. My little girl's GOTTA have her Cheerios," the mothers smiling on knowingly, until they see that he meant me. And then...he pushes the cart ;) ). So there we were grocery shoppin with every single human being within the city limits who works a 9-5--the middle of a hungry pirahna fest really--just as happy as clams to be together. Ain't that somethin? Like those stories that end with "and then I found 5 dollars," and then we made some fabulously beany, cheesy, salsa-y burriladas!

Not to mention, as the cashier handed us our receipt, she said, "Have a good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Ware." Why, we certainly will! I smiled to myself. I have to say that I've really grown to appreciate comments like "Have a nice day!" or "Enjoy the rest of the afternoon!" Something about others well-wishing me makes my heart happy. And comments like that lift my mood, too. Like, Now that you told me to, I will DEFINITELY have a fabulous rest of the day! One-liner pep-talks is what they are. I think I might put a little thought into some new conversation enders. Dumb & Dumber's "Don't go dyin on me!" too much? Maybe a little bit. How about "Hope you get a good night's sleep!" Or "Maybe you'll get some good mail today!" Alright, so I need to put a little MORE thought into it...

Last but not least...

Daily Dose of Dillies: Married Talk

After last week's bridal shower, I realized that I'm now a part of the "Married Talk" circle. Before I got engaged, conversations about kids or houses or spouses were directed elsewhere (not that I minded being left out, as I wouldn't have had much to contribute, anyway). But now, my married coworkers address me, include me in their married talk. Just today I got asked how many kids A and I want, when we want them, and how life's different with and without kids. We talked about pregancy and raising kids while working. We talked about splitting time between families during the holidays and how we want to decorate our houses for Christmas. It was bizarre. But in a good way. It's like I was in unfamiliar territory in that I was talking about topics and issues that I've really only talked about with A. That's when it sank in for real--I'm a legitimate part of this new conversation circle; I think about and have opinions on married-related issues; I can talk to other married women now! Sounds ridiculous, but it made me feel so grown up, like I've been inducted into the next phase of my life :)

*image from http://frugalforlife.blogspot.com/ (The pic looks like it was taken in the1950s! The Safeway of today is not NEARLY as exciting as those cashiers' robes).

No comments:

Post a Comment