Much ado about whims and fancies.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Take Two


Personally, I'm a skeptic when it comes to sequels. However, I think yesterday's entry needs a little more attention, a little more TLC.

Yesterday, I didn't speak to A's place in my "spiritual crisis" (a term I've realized is harsh and desperate and negative and so might be part of the problem. So let's call it my "spiritual quandary" instead, shall we?). I met A two years ago, and for the entirety of those two years, he's shown me what a daily spiritual practice is, what living spiritually means. Seriously, this kid has got his faith DOWN. And he's not shy about expressing it or talking about it, because his faith is him; he doesn't see any strangeness or flamboyancy in living faithfully (I know--reason enough to fall in love with the man, right?). But anywho, it's been A's faith that has made me question my own. It's been his daily faith practices (meditation, chanting, and praying) that made me realize I'm out of the loop. I'm missing something. If A can make his faith second-nature, I can get to that point too, right?

So I asked him how he prays. He said, "I thank God for all of my blessings--my health, my family, our relationship. Then I offer my day as a thank you gift. I offer my studies, my interactions with people, my thoughts, everything...in return for what God's given me. And only then do I ask for something...if there's something to ask for." Seriously, I was stunned. He thanks, he offers, and sometimes he asks. Is that not the most fabulous way of praying ever?! I just recently started praying on my drive to work, and I follow A's formula. While it's not a 15 minute sit-down like A's morning routine, I still feel like prayer changes the flavor of the day; I'm more aware perhaps? In-tune? Though I'm still a work-in-progress, I feel like I can work with A's formula and let it grow me. Also, I'm currently reading "Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul." I'm not that far into it and already I want to recommend it. Along the lines of "A New Earth"--change our consciousnesses and our world will follow suit. Can I count reading as prayer? (hehe).

Before I go, I HAVE to tell you this story (I think I read it on someone else's blog, but I'm not sure whose. So I apologize for the stealing-of-stories). So, this woman who used to work at Starbucks witnessed what she calls "a miracle" one morning. A man was paying for his coffee when he said he'd like to pay for the person behind him, too. That woman then paid for the person behind her. And then that person paid for the person behind him. Apparently this "pay-it-forward" (or backward, technically) lasted for 45 MINUTES! Can you imagine?! Kindness pouring up, out, and over! The only reason the cycle ended is because there were no more people to pay for! Bloody brilliant, I tell you! I adore stories that tout humanity's goodness. I'm sharing this one with everyone...

*image from http://www.imagebase.davidniblack.com/main.php?g2_itemId=3875

No comments:

Post a Comment