Much ado about whims and fancies.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Alright, friends, it's that time again! It's FOODIE FRIDAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Let's talk about our Valentine's Day dinners and delicacies, shall we? Or perhaps our Mardi Gras gorgings? And/or any other fabulous foods we've put in our mouths this past week.

*image from http://www.frontiersoups.com/
I'll begin with the Valentine's dessert I had out at dinner the other night--chocolate soup. Did you catch that? CHOCOLATE SOUP. The waiter had me at, "A decadent and very, very rich dessert." That word--rich. Gets me every time. Though I understand that word has been known to deter people from certain sweets? I don't get it. Anywho, this soup was the creamiest and milkiest chocolatey thing I've ever eaten. And there were strawberry garnishes lining the bowl that were out of this world! I'm telling you, the whole time I was confused about whether I was in aphrodisiac heaven or gastronomical heaven. Either way, the feeling was love.


                                                       *image from http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/
Okay, so I sorta forgot to binge eat on Fat Tuesday. I know, I know, I'm a total cop-out. BUT, I ate something yesterday that reinstills my reputation--a grilled shrimp Vietnamese noodle bowl. Holy crapola, I'm willing to say this is one of my all-time favorite meals. You read right, all-time favorite. The taste of the grill on the shrimp-- a little spicy, a little fiery; a nice pile of lettuce and sprouts and carrots for some crispy freshness; some rice noodles covered in peanut crumbles (I so love peanuts in Asian food); and that sauce! I'm telling you--phenomenal is the word that comes to mind. If I hadn't been in the break room at work, I might've mm-ed and nuh-uh-ed the entire time I was eating it. Yes, it's that good. Do your tummy a favor and eat one.



Those are MY most memorable eats, but what are YOURS?

Also, not so much in a sidenote way as in a FRONT-AND-CENTER-WAY, we're officially in the Lenten season, folks. While I'm giving up some food items to help me get in the spirit of it all, I'm also interested in doing something else--some positive, active, do-gooder-ish type thing. I'll tell you where I'm starting--Operation NICE, a sweet pea of a blogger who posted a similarly sweet article about it being Random Acts of Kindness Week! I think I'll partake and do some randomly nice stuff to kick off Lent. What do you say? You with me? What other fabulously proactive things could we do? I'm all about the ideas, people...

3 comments:

  1. Ok, first of all, please tell me where you got that soup? Pleeeaaaase. Have you ever been to the D-Bar in Denver? Talk about scrumptious desserts! The Melting Pot's food always excites my tastebuds. I go for the cheese and chocolate, that classic chocolate with hazelnut is good enough to roll in. I've been known to eat it with a spoon once the dipping treats have run out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the RICH chocolate soup at The Brown Palace's Palace Arms restaurant. UN.BE.LIEV.A.BLE. Also, you are the second person to tell me about D-Bar! I think a desserting (unlike dining) is in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always up for dessert! Just say when :-)

    And as for Lent, I like your addition of do-gooding. I think I'm going to make an attempt to be more positive at work even though we accomplish nothing and requests are ridiculous. Perhaps my sunshiney-ness will inspire some actual accomplishments to occur! I've always loved a challenge...

    ReplyDelete