Much ado about whims and fancies.

Friday, February 26, 2010

What You Eat and Who You Are


It's FRIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Who's as pumped as I am for the weekend?! "Pump up the jam! Pump it up! While you're feet are stompin and the jam is pumpin!" Tell me I'm not the only one who owns the "Jock Jams" CD  :-/  Moving on...

So, I know that today is "Food Friday," but I've got no wonderful eats to report (Sad, right?). Granted, I'm counting on some scrumptious things to happen to me Saturday night as A and I and some friends of ours are partaking in Denver's 5280 Restaurant Week (where you can get 2 gourmet meals for just $52.80!). So what if I've already looked at the menu and decided on my meal? But that glorious meal of potato flatbread with caramelized onions and rosemary and penne with rapini pesto, sweet pepper relish and pine nuts (hehe) isn't until tomorrow, so all I've got to contribute today is this food-related quote my friend A recently said to me--"It was nice like 5 o'clock mints." HA! Try popping that dilly into a conversation in place of "awesome" or "great"--that and the fact that my hair smells like bananas today.

Random insertion: There were numerous times yesterday where the people I was calling answered the phone giggling. What's up with that? Thursday must have been a very silly day. Let me in on the joke, please.

Also! I forgot to tell you! Last week was Random Acts of Kindness Week (which, of course, all you kind people knew already), and so for the occasion, I printed out these adorable little picture messages like "Take a look around you" with little birdies plucking worms from the ground and "You are beautiful" written out in flowers and ribbon. I'm telling you, they were the most precious things ever (semi-Valentine-ish, but in the best way possible), and so I secretly set one on each of my female coworkers' desks, thinking I'd anonymously make their days. Welp, as they all started coming back from lunch, I stayed behind my cubicles walls, waiting for questions, reactions, a "WTF?", anything. But you know what I got? NOTHING! Seriously, people?! Come on! Not even a "Look what I got!" or "Isn't this cute?" Kinda hurt about it. Though I guess not hearing anything could be considered a good sign, as it proves I'm exerting responsibility with my "public art" by not offending anyone. And I guess I maintained my secrecy in the process. Though the fact that the notes were anonymous could've creeped them out, huh? Hmph. Either way the experience was a let-down. Any other random acts of kindness I could try out? You know, to get the bitter taste of this one outta my mouth? (exaggeration). You let me know ;)

Lastly but not leastly, I'm again inviting you to read along with me. There's something funny about today's readings though--they're so similarly themed! It's all about who you are and what you do. You read em and then we'll chat!

http://preacher3142.bloghi.com/2010/02/24/what-matters-most-to-god.html

"When the ego dissolved, when I set praise and blame on the same seat, when honor and dishonor and my idea that I was a yogini burned to ashes, when my ears refused to hear either good or bad statements, when my eyes stopped seeing either good or evil sights, then God's blessing arose, vibrating in my mind. The lamp of knowledge was set ablaze, and the inner light burst into flame. But my mind knew only peace."--Lalleshwari

http://www.yesandyes.org/2010/02/note-to-self.html (the "Dear Emotional Creature" excerpt)

What I, personally, walked away with--
*the question What we do is so important to us, but is it important to God?
*Don't put too much weight on definitions. In the entire scheme of things, how you identify yourself isn't so important.
*We all have unfathomable potential, but we stifle that potential when we let others to tell us what we're good and/or bad at. Not to mention, the more we let others tell us what's what, the more we don't actually see what's what for ourselves.
*There is a difference between pleasing and loving, obeying and respecting.

P.S. Is it true that we are what we eat? Well fancy that, come Saturday I'm gonna be one big carbohydrate! What food does that make YOU?

P.P.S. This is my 50th post! Yay for being prolific! (Kind of. Although not really at all. But 50 sounds like a big number, so there).


<3 Happy eating to you, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment