Much ado about whims and fancies.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Life Lessons by Julie & Julia

* image from http://bookpage.files.wordpress.com/

A couple days ago I watched the movie Julie & Julia. And though I wasn't exactly looking forward to watching it, I was pleasantly surprised! What an adorable, heartfelt, and funny movie! (But I adore Meryl Streep (and Chris Messina!) so no surprise there). Julia's mannerisms--the constant head-bobbing and body-swaying were so endearing! She seemed like such an open and joyful and unassuming woman. I <3ed her. Not to mention, watching multiple relationships between husbands and wives was precious AND insightful. Obviously I really, really, really liked the movie! I may even consider BUYING it (which is a huge thing, let me tell you)!

But I think the main reason I enjoyed the movie so much is because it resonated with me on a number of levels.

For example, how Julie, when she got down on herself, realized that she needed something to pull her out of that rut. Like a project! Something that required everyday attention so that she could feel productive and positive every day. She needed to make something in order to make something of herself. What was the project she undertook? (Besides cooking, obviously). A blog! Well ditto all over that, Julie! DIT. TO. I tell you, blogging has been such a good thing for me. Having a place where I can say silly things (Wheaties DO make me feel like a champion!) AND have serious conversations (What is your opinion on public art at the office?), a place where I can talk about arts & crafts (Yay for toilet paper roll doorknob swags!) AND ask for advice (How might I better support my husband during med school?)--makes me feel curious, creative, interesting, connected, productive, and well, free. I've always loved writing, but man! Blogging is so uninhibited! So various! I love being able to write about anything and everything, and I love reading about anything and everything! All-around love for the blogosphere! And hey, if something gives you pleasure, I say stock up on it end of the world style--which is really the point that Julie & Julia made (without using the phrase "end of the world style," of course).

I also resonated with Julie at the point in the movie when she and her husband got in a fight about how self-interested and narcissistic she was becoming. I have to admit, there have been days when I felt like I needed to make my life more interesting just so I could post about it on my blog. And while I know that no one should be living their lives for their blogs, I've definitely had moments when I've chosen to write and not live. Fallen into that ME ME ME rut of sorts. HA! As if my readers really care about the eventfulness (or lack thereof) of MY life. As if I have soooo many readers who wait with bated breath to read MY interesting anecdotes. No matter how many (or how few) readers I have, they've got WAY MORE things to care about in their own lives! Don't you, you sassy pants readers, you?! So watching Julie's attitude change--from starting a project for positive/uplifting reasons to sticking with a project for attention--was a great reminder for me. Don't take yourself so seriously. Enjoy the project for what it is--a project. It's not your life.


And lastly, I resonated with the movie's message about mentors/idols. I interpreted the end of the movie (Julia not only disliking Julie's blog, but also not wanting to meet her) as though mentors/idols aren't as perfect as we make them out to be. They shouldn't be put on pedestals. They're not above you or better than you like some unreachable gods. Rather, we only look up to mentors/idols because we identify with them. Their characteristics that we admire are simply characteristics that we, ourselves, already have but wish to nurture and grow. So we don't need another person, something outside of ourselves, to inspire us. We've already got everything it takes to be happy and successful! So next time you need a mentor, just look in the mirror!

That's all I have to say about that...

Now go watch the whole darn thing! Including the credits! Because as the end credits run, the lyrics to the song that plays are: "I'm so lucky to be loving you." Um, true story. Of course we're lucky to be loved, but aren't we also incredibly lucky to love?

Who do you love?

What projects are you in the middle of?

1 comment:

  1. I saw this movie at the theater with my mom and grandmom. I probably would never have gone to see it on my own, but anything to have a day with 3 generations of wonderful women. Right? And surprisingly, I loved it too! As you said, it was very easy to connect with Julie's story and her feelings. My blog(s) are definitely a project for me. Reading/writing is something I look forward to on a daily basis - even on a bad day. It's good to connect with people. :)

    ReplyDelete