Much ado about whims and fancies.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Nearly there...

Look at those limbs! AAHH!

P.S. It's Fridayyyyyyyy!
And, for me, pay dayyyyyyyy!
Now THAT'S cause for celebration!
Who wants a Sonic cherry limeade on me?!

The last few weeks, my days have been blurring into each other, making everything feel like one long, monotonous, uninterrupted day. I'm telling you, it's TEDIOUS business over here! SO! I decided to shake things up a bit. How about an hour-by-hour(ish) update on my yesterday, including the ways I veered from the "well-traveled path?" A glorified Facebook status update, if you will!

Here ya have it:

9AM-12PM
What's typical: Call car dealerships to make claims payments.
What I did instead: Called car dealerships to make claims payments (Hey, I have a job to do, am I right?). BUT! I took little 2-3 minute breaks whenever I got through a pile of paperwork--I went to the restroom and brushed my teeth; I went to the break room and refilled my glass of water; I took out my grown-up planner and wrote inspiring quotes on all the Monday and Tuesday pages (Can I get a group "Bleh" for those days!); and I wiped off my desk (And mouse! And phone! And keyboard!) with Clorox wipes. I moved around, people!
12PM-1PM
What's typical: Eat lunch in breakroom while reading a book on Kindle.
What I did instead: After eating lunch in the breakroom (It was wild and crazy windy outside, you see), I took a 15 minute walk around the complex, dilly-dallying in the Museum of Outdoor Arts...


Weldenblume, which means "willow flower." This thing's made out of live willows that just started sprouting!



The view from inside...

A bronze tea party!

I love this statue...

StickWorks. Like nests for humans :)

The view from inside...

Mums in full bloom!

It was wonderful to get outside the building and see beautiful things...

1PM-5PM
What's typical: Process check payments and continue calling car dealerships.
What I did instead: Processed check payments and continued calling car dealerships, BUT! I took a 15 minute break, during which I walked outside and talked on the phone with my faraway cousin-love! AND! I continued to take mini-breaks whenever my work load lessened--I went to the break room to make tea; I took the stairs down to the first floor and used the restroom; I filed papers; I, I, I, I got so much done!


5PM-9PM
What's typical: Drive home. MAYBE work out, haha. Eat dinner while watching TV and continue watching TV till bedtime.
What I did instead: Drove home. I didn't work out :( BUT! After A and I ate dinner, we spent the rest of the evening playing with Bishy-wishy-wooshy-washy and packing for the cabin!


And this morning, I got a different drink from Starbucks! WHOA! Changes all around, people! It's gettin' crazy up in here!


I hope I didn't bore the hell out of y'all with the world's longest status update, seeing as boredom=more dumb (what?). But I really learned a lot from changing my routine. Just a few small changes made big differences in my day. Getting up from my desk more often helped break up the time, and spending time outside made a HUGE difference, as it felt good to actually SEE the day and smell fresh air.

I worried that by taking mini-breaks, I'd get behind on work. But really, I was more productive! In between work loads, I was reorganizing or tidying or filing or processing...I realized that varying your routine doesn't mean goofing off, but rather, variety made my day more interesting, more memorable, and definitely more bearable.

So take a tip from me, folks--shake things up a bit. Do something differently today.

I'll continue gettin' cozy with change, myself. Take lunch at a different time today? Don't mind if I do!

Happiest weekend to y'all :)

1 comment:

  1. I love cherry limeades! (with extra real cherries) And I just might have one in Bishop's honor today. :)

    That outdoor art gallery is beautiful! We don't have anything like that here. But you're absolutely right. I've noticed I'm more productive too when I leave my desk more often during the day. Strange. :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete