Much ado about whims and fancies.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Excuse me, please.

Whoa, I've been gone forever, eh? Sheesh! I dunno where I've been or what I've been doing, but it would've been nice had I written something down, haha. My sincerest apologies. Can I make it up to you? Perhaps with some pictures?


Family portrait!


Close-up of the bebs.

Speaking of pictures (I know, I know, after such a long hiatus, I owe you more than a couple snapshots. Well, don't you worry, cause there's more to come.), my mom's dear friend, who's a freelance writer and photographer, was in town this weekend. She brought A and I a book full of photos she took at our wedding. I can't tell you how FABULOUS this frickin' book is. She captured moments our professional photographer didn't, moments that not only best reflected the emotions of that day, but also truly reflected the personalities of us and our guests. I mean, this thing is a love affair with memories from our wedding...

Which got me thinking that photographs are some kind of wonderful, aren't they? 

*TANGENT: Have you guys seen the movie "Up in the Air" with George Clooney? There's a scene during which George Clooney's doing a presentation about emptying your metaphorical backpack of unnecessary emotional weight and baggage. He asks everyone to think about what they'd pack in their bag if they could only pack one thing...

                          Georgie and his big boy backpack...

He says something like, "Pictures? Don't bring pictures. Pictures are for people who are too lazy to remember."

Well, I disagree with your beautiful self, Mr. Clooney. Hugely. I get such enjoyment from looking at pictures. With the book of photos my mom's friend gave us, I got a wider view of our wedding day. I got to see her perceptions and observations, what struck her as picture-worthy, what she saw in the people she was photographing. Page after page of secret glimpses. Incredibly intimate, her photographs. And it's not like the pictures she took replaced the memories I've got, it's that the pictures she took rounded-out my memories.

Like a big cumulus cloud, that weekend now hangs more prominently in my memory...


                    ...floating, growing, shading, enveloping...

What do you think of photographs? Are they your BFF, too?


1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you're back. I was beginning to wonder...

    Up in the Air was pretty good. Not my fave, but I definitely enjoyed his metaphorical backpack idea. I was sad too when he said, "Not pictures," because obviously I'm CRAZY for pictures. In fact, I wanna be a photographer when I grow up. *wink* Really I do. I've been considering a post about this soon. :) Nevertheless, I understand what Mr. Beautiful was getting at... if you could only take ONE thing... I dunno... but it probably wouldn't be pictures. Maybe a camera?? LoL

    ReplyDelete